On My Being Single and Having High Standards (daw!)
Most of my friends tell me that I put the bar so high…. the main reason why up to now, I haven’t found my better-half yet. Well, here are some of my defenses against the accusation of me having such high standards.
First and foremost, I am not looking for Mr. Perfect… I am simply waiting for Mr. Right! I am not perfect myself so I don’t think I am entitled to find Mr. Perfect. I would define Mr. Right as the guy who would take, accept and love me the way I am… someone who would complement my personality as well as my flaws. He is the guy who will complete me…. who is willing to fill my empty hands with his.
Still sound vague? Well, if you want to drill down on details, here is my idea of Mr. Right. However, I don’t want to tag this as my checkilist of requirements… but more of a guide! Some are negotiable though! Hahaha!
So, here it goes:
- Catholic. I am not what they call a “religious” person but I try to be an active and obedient member of the Catholic community… besides, it’s just a once-a-week thing! Although, sometimes, I have my share of absences! Bad ‘ol me! Seriously, it is very important for me that we share the same faith…. and this is something not negotiable! I always believe that “faith (in God) is the foundation of all relationships”.
- Good to look at. Physical appearance is somewhat important for me, too. However, I plainly termed it “good to look at”… thus, I am not hoping for a Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt look-a-like. Hey, I’m fully aware that I am not as pretty and hot as Katie Holmes or Angelina Jolie! I just want someone I can look at for hours without getting high on drugs! Just kidding! I simply want someone who is presentable…. someone I could do HHWWPSSP while strolling at Glorietta! Is that too much to ask??? Besides, I want to have good-looking kids someday. And I don’t want to be accused of contributing ‘junk’ to the society! (Soooooo sorry for the term, I really can’t think of a better word for ‘junk’)
- Independent/Professional. I have worked hard to be where I am now so I would expect Mr. Right to have done the same thing for himself, too. This is not an issue of stature but of proving something to one’s self. This, too, is a not negotiable!
- Smart and Practical. I am not much into genius guys as they would only make me feel dumb! I would rather go for a simple yet smart guy… someone who knows how to deal with the realities and practicalities of life.
- Responsible. Do I really have to explain this further? The word is self-explanatory! I guess, no one wants to be with someone who is not responsible… and I’m talking about family and money matters here, huh?!
- Courageous. My personality is strong… actually, too strong that other people find it quite intimidating! Well, I may look unapproachable but I don’t just growl on people if they want to talk to me. I’m just a typical snobbish-looking girl. So, it would really take some brave guys to actually get through that first level of knowing me.
- Strong but Sweet. Being strong for myself and the people around me is sometimes taxing…both physically and mentally! Tao lang din po ako! I also need a break! Sometimes, I want to have someone who can be strong for me… someone who will decide for me… someone I can depend on when I’m at my weakest. Be strong for me at all times as I would do for him. Strong enough to tame me down but knows when to inject a dash of sweetness to allow some cuddling moments to happen!
- With Good Sense of Humor. I really like to exchange good laughs and endless fun with friends… I think it would be more fun to share one-hell-of-a-laugh with Mr. Right! And if he knows how to put on a good joke… well, that’s definitely a big plus point… maybe, additional 50 ‘pogi’ points!
- Outgoing. Sharing a common interest will go a long way. So it’s necessary that we share something in common. I consider myself as an outgoing person so it would mean a lot to know if Mr. Right enjoy things that I like… which means, I will likewise enjoy all the things that he like.
- Older than me. Not too old though! 3- to 5-year gap would probably do! Hahah! I really do not know the rationale behind this one but guys younger than me instantly turn me off. As I said, I don’t know the reason why… so don’t dare ask me, ok?!
- Non-smoker. No valid explanation…. for kissing purposes only! Hahaha!
Lastly, he must be SINGLE! This one is definitely non-negotiable! 😉
Oh, just for additional info, I did not include any height requirement here anymore… to pave way for guys who are shorter than 5’8″… hahaha!
So there, I finally laid it out! Now tell me, do you still consider me as a “girl with high standards”???